- Pattern block puzzles
- A fun introduction to angle measurement
- Finding and classifying all the symmetries of a pattern-block-tiled regular 3-, 6-, and 12-gon
- Pattern block tilings of the plane, leading to more general explorations (figuring out a notation for pattern block tilings, using that as a springboard towards a search for all the Archimedean tilings, plus some pedagogical brainstorming on how to use triangle and quadrilateral tilings to introduce many ideas in basic geometry)
- Pattern block trains (a problem about rate of change that starts easy and gets very challenging)
- And, if there is time, a brand new pattern block perimeter optimization challenge.
This will be big fun, so if you're anywhere near San Jose, you should come!
American Institute for Mathematics
600 East Brokaw Road
San Jose CA 95112
March 14, 2015
8:30 Small breakfast
9:00 Start of workshop
9:26 π moment (3/14/15 9:26:53)
And it's all absolutely free!
PS: If you're not in the San Jose area, you can find most of these ideas in my Geometry Labs book. (free download)